the directory for our mini community

Llanrwst Almshouse Museum in Llanrwst, Conwy

Llanrwst Almshouse Museum


Category : Not for Profit & Government
Address : 1-12 Church Street
LL26 0LE
Telephone : 01492 642550
Fax :
Website : Llanrwst Almshouse Museum

Llanwrst Museum

Hidden away in the historic quater of this old market town lies the Almshouse Museum. Built by Sir John Wynne of Gwydyr in 1610 the building provided shelter and simple comfort fot twelve almsmen and later women, for over 360 years until its closure in 1976.

The Almshouse lay empty, deteriorating and unloved for the next 26 years, until saved by the charity of Sir John Wynne of Gwydyr, who raised the necessary funding to enable the sympathetic restoration of this historically important Jacobean building. Early in 2000, the Llanrwst Almshouse Museum Trust (formed in 1987) was offered the lease of The Almshouses for a peppercorn rent, which enabled them to work towards setting up a community Museum, Lord Dafydd Elis Thomas officially opened the Museum to the public in April 2002.

340 Click Throughs, 1727 Page Views
part of the Livetech Group celebrating 10 years service
mini community

This is a 

powered by the minisite web design platform